This page contains information on any CURRENT AND UPCOMING EVENTS.
A WEEKEND OF PUBLIC TALKS AND SEMINARS
WITH POEP SA FRANK JUDE BOCCIO
OPEN TO EVERYONE
FRIDAY, MAY 31 TO SUNDAY, JUNE 2
AT ANYBODY FITNESS
31 RANJIT KUMAR ST., ST. JAMES
Directions – Drive up Salazar St. (the street opposite KFC), which is on the right if heading to
the West. Keep driving straight up…Ranjit Kumar is on the right. As you turn onto the Ranjit
Kumar, AnyBody Fitness is on the right hand side of the street.
Parking – We will have secured street parking.
See schedule of seminars below OR Download PDF here!
WHO IS FRANK JUDE BOCCIO?
Become more mindful with yourself and your teaching, learn different meditation techniques and deepen your practice. Open seminars with internationally renowned Sa Poepe Frank Jude Boccio – certified Yoga Teacher and Zen Buddhist Teacher, ordained by Korean Zen Master, Samu Sunim, Interfaith Minister, long-time student of Thich Nhat Hanh and author of Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body and Mind.
FRIDAY, MAY 31 FROM 7PM TO 9PM
OPEN TO ANYONE, A PUBLIC TALK
Lecture 1: The Life of the Buddha: An Archetypal Story of the Yogic Path
In this lecture, the legendary life of the Buddha, along with some historical understandings, will be told, relating the life of the Buddha to the study, practice and purpose of yoga.
- Why do we come to study and practice yoga?
- The existential significance of the “Four Sights” of aging, illness, death, of the yogi.
- The discovery of a new form of yoga, involving mindfulness to address the cognitive aspect of experience and the four Brahma-Viharas, addressing the affective or emotional aspects.
SATURDAY MORNING, JUNE 1 FROM 8AM TO 11AM
OPEN TO ANYONE
Lecture 2: The Buddha’s Yoga
In this lecture, you will learn how the Buddha’s teaching presents a complete, comprehensive, fully integrated Yoga Path.
- The Four Noble Truths
- The traditional “Medical Model” of
- Causes of Illness;
- Positive Prognosis (Illness can be cured);
- The Prescription and Therapy to Cure the Illness.
- The Process-Oriented Model of
- Difficulties arise;
- Reactivity arises;
- Containment of reactivity;
- Skillfulness in responding.
- The Eightfold Path as a Threefold Training
- Ethics (Sila): How do we teach ethically while also presenting ethical understanding to our students?
- Meditation (Samadhi): The importance of meditation for a well-rounded Yoga Practice.
- Wisdom (Prajna): How do we cultivate a mind of wisdom so that it manifests in our teaching?
SATURDAY AFTERNOON, JUNE 1 FROM 2PM TO 5PM
OPEN TO ANYONE
Lecture 3: Mindfulness (Part One)
In this lecture, you will learn what mindfulness is as well as what it isn’t! You will learn ways to develop your capacity for greater awareness, as well as ways to bring mindfulness into your teaching.
- The Four Foundations of Mindfulness: Discussed will be how to practice the four foundations as well as how to apply them to your asana teaching. Part One will explore the first two foundations: the body and feelings.
- Techniques to be practiced include:
- Sitting Meditation
- Walking Meditation
- Eating Meditation (mindfully eating an apple)
- Micro-Practices to practice throughout your Teacher Training, including “Bells of Mindfulness”
- Gathas (mindfulness verses for daily life situations)
*COST IF PARTICIPATING IN BOTH SATURDAY SESSIONS: TT$200
SUNDAY MORNING, JUNE 2 FROM 8AM TO 11AM
OPEN TO ANYONE
Lecture 4: Mindfulness (Part Two)
In this lecture, we will emphasize the third and fourth foundations: mind and objects of mind or dharmas.
SUNDAY AFTERNOON, JUNE 2 FROM 12NOON TO 3PM
OPEN TO ANYONE
Lecture 5: A Mindfulness Yoga Practice (Part One)
After a discussion of the importance of integrating effort and relaxation, we will practice asana, pranayama, yoga-nidra and meditation as a comprehensive exploration of the four foundations of mindfulness.
Sangha Building (Part Two)
The Buddha taught that the whole of the ‘spiritual life’ is relationship. And sangha is the community of practitioners who inspire and support each other in awakening to a fuller, deeper intimacy with all of life through inter-personal relationship.
- Sangha Building through “Deep Listening” and “Deep Speaking” which embody the principles of Right Speech (Non-Violent Communication).
*COST IF PARTICIPATING IN BOTH SUNDAY SESSIONS: TT$200
*COST IF PARTICIPATING IN ALL SESSIONS: TT$500
Workshops on advanced poses with Advanced Level Jivamukti Teacher Trainer, Jessica Stickler – EXACT DATES STILL TO BE CONFIRMED BUT EITHER MAY/JUNE/JULY
Jivamukti classes open to anyone with Advanced Level Jivamukti Teacher Trainer, Jessica Stickler – EXACT DATES STILL TO BE CONFIRMED BUT EITHER MAY/JUNE/JULY
IAMYOGA Hot Yoga Classes with Linda Malone, Director of IamYoga and E-RYT 500 with Yoga Alliance and with Siobhan Louwman, Degree in Anatomy and Dance and is Pilates Certified.
THESE girls can rock a yoga class!!! During the months of May and June, look out for Linda Malone and Siobhan (pronounced shivan) Louwman…both co-directors of The Sangha Trinidad’s Yoga Teacher Training this year, they have also offered to spread the love and bring some of their regular classes to the general population as well…*EXCITEMENTS*! Look for their classes on the schedule as *SPECIAL CLASSES*